Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
£65000 - £75000 per annum
6 months ago
Our client, a Global PLC based in Hertfordshire are looking to recruit a Data Protection Officer to join their expanding Risk & Compliance Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating, delivering and embedding our client's data protection strategy across the business, ensuring that it remains compliant with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") and equivalent regulations across all of its markets. You will have a number of key priorities including advising the business of its obligations when capturing, controlling, processing and/or storing personal data and to be responsible for monitoring compliance of data protection regulations and internal data protection policies throughout the organisation.
Main responsibilities of the Data Protection Officer will include;
- Supported by the Risk & Compliance Senior Manager and the Director of Audit, Risk & Compliance, create, deliver and embed our client's data protection and data governance strategy across all of our client's markets
- Work with external legal providers to inform, advise and issue timely, pragmatic and risk-based advice and recommendations regarding compliance with the GDPR, the Data Protection Act 2018 and other relevant data privacy laws globally, including the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
- Deliver advice and support to the business on a wide range of day-to-day data protection issues, including Data Protection Impact Assessments, Data Subject Access Requests, data capture, processing and storage, in addition to the use of appropriate privacy statements and notices.
- Monitor internal compliance with data privacy laws and internal data privacy policies, including our client's Data Retention Policy.
- Deliver bespoke data protection training to stakeholders including ongoing training and direction regarding the need for and completing Data Protection Impact Assessments and managing Data Subject Access Requests.
- Promote data privacy practice and compliance throughout our client's business including creating a culture of data privacy by design.
- Regular review and, where necessary, amendment of internal data privacy policies.
- Maintain our client's register of data processing activities.
- Act as a single point of contact for data subjects and supervisory authorities.
- Advising on avoiding and managing data protection incidents and potential breaches including leading any response to same and liaising with external legal providers and the supervisory authority where necessary.
- Provide guidance, training and direction to our client's cross functional team of Data Privacy Stewards.
- Organise, Chair and lead the Data Privacy Steward meetings in addition to its Data Privacy & Protection Committee meetings.
- Keep abreast of updates to data protection regulation globally, including current best practice and guidance.
- Play a pivotal role on the Incident Management Team (IMT) responding to any data breaches should they occur
To be considered for this position, ideal candidates must have the following experience and skills;
- The DPO will be a strategic thought leader and have a proven track record of integrating privacy requirements within business functions.
- Strong experience of interpreting and applying data governance and data protection legislation and regulation.
- Excellent knowledge of the GDPR, Data Protection Act 2018 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
- Strong academic record.
- Well-developed analytical skills.
- Ability and desire to work as a true business partner, capable of contributing to strategic and commercial discussions with the business.
- Excellent written and communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and confident with a strong sense of ownership and the ability to drive initiatives forward to conclusion
- Good analytical skills with the ability to identify the key risks and business considerations and provide targeted, pragmatic and solutions-driven advice and recommendations
- Well organised and able to prioritise conflicting pressures and multiple stakeholders
- Business orientated with a desire to influence and proactively engage with all areas of the business
- Acts with the highest levels of integrity and in accordance with ethical, legal and compliance standards