£50000 - £55000 per annum
5 months ago
Our client a leading English footwear and clothing brand, operating globally are looking for a Compliance Accountant to join the EMEA team.
Working in a fast paced team for the Financial Accounting Manager EMEA, the Compliance Accountant will be expected to own and manage the compliance activities of the EMEA and Group entities including guidance on post Brexit queries and bonded warehouse financial monitoring.
- Liaison with our third party professional service providers and tax advisors to ensure that all relevant local requirements are met.
- Key point of contact on Brexit specific scenarios and queries both within finance and with the wider business
- Key point of contact for bonded warehouse specific scenarios and queries both within finance and with the wider business
- Key compliance liaison between Global Supply Chain and Transactional Finance for duty and customs
- Process improving intrastat and EC Sales data capture, checks and working flow
- Assistance with the implementation, maintenance and improvement of robust month end processes and internal controls to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business.
- Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations file to a high standard in line with internal deadlines including coordination of any issues which need resolving with the wider business.
- Ensure all indirect tax return submissions and payments are made in line with applicable deadlines and that we comply with timely submission of all necessary financial statistical returns (e.g. VAT, Intrastat, EC Sales Lists, ONS requests).
- Responsible for working with our tax advisors to ensure filings are correct, all local filing obligations are met and any resulting payments are made on time.
- Assistance with the interim and year end audit process with preparation of information for external auditors.
- Promote a culture of best practice across EMEA by ensuring all work is completed to the highest standards and sharing improved ways of working.
- Identify and flag any issues promptly to the Financial Accounting Manager EMEA including any risks or opportunities identified for the group.
- Strive to create efficiencies in the day to day working practices of staff to reduce time spent on mundane repetitive tasks.
- Provide cover and assistance to the wider finance team and assist in any other ad hoc projects as required, including exploring better ways of working with the EMEA Finance team.
Experience and Qualifications
- Recognised accountancy/tax qualification with at least 3 years PQE with appropriate technical competencies.
- Experience preparing and reviewing complicated VAT returns.
- Strong knowledge of intrastat returns and relationships with the related VAT returns and EC Sales lists.
- An understanding of requirements for customs and duty clearances, particularly pre and post Brexit differences
- An understanding and experience with bonded warehouse implementation.
- Microsoft Dynamics (D365), retail, multi-currency, multi-site, foreign language skills & experience of working with European subsidiaries highly desirable.
- Good understanding of business structure and the importance of accuracy of nominal ledger postings.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Strong investigatory, analytical and problem solving skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Work under tight deadlines within a small team and help others within the team wherever possible.
- Proactive approach to work and a desire to streamline processes to increase productivity across the team.
- Strong communicator - able to liaise with colleagues in Continental Europe to ensure that we are complying with the local laws and regulations.